About Me

My photo
My name is Sarah Hall, I am 21 years old and I am currently a junior at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, Alabama. I am double majoring in Secondary Education and Language Arts. My experience as a student in the College of Education has not only been an informative one, but a positive one. I have enjoyed being actively involved in learning whether in the classroom, in the field, or simply at my computer at home. I feel that the assignments, activities, and requirements of this semester (i.e. observing teachers, blogging on educational topics, finding solutions to problems in the classroom) have allowed me to contribute to my community and my own personal education as opposed to only being a sponge to soak up information given to me.

Monday, November 23, 2009

Why kids hate English

I recently asked a high school student if he liked English. His response was an immediate , "NO!" Upon asking him why, I discovered that his English teachers, like most high school English teachers, assign worksheets all the time. They also assign several book assignments and critical analysis questions. They are required to write essays and answer critical analysis questions. Surprisingly, students aren't really interested in worksheets full of questions.
I think teachers should take a more hands on approach. I think teachers should assign creative projects. I think teachers should assign projects that will allow students to express themselves creatively and grasp the concepts of the required curriculum. For instance, when reading the Scarlett Letter, students should pick one vice or quality that causes embarrassment (with appropriate permission) and wear the first letter all day and come up with a written explanation of what the letter represents. Or when reading plays, students can pick out their favorite scenes and re-film them in their own words. these are just a few hands on ideas. Personally, I think students will grasp concepts more if they have a say in how it's being taught to them or if they can actively participate in learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment