About Me

My photo
My name is Sarah Hall, I am 21 years old and I am currently a junior at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, Alabama. I am double majoring in Secondary Education and Language Arts. My experience as a student in the College of Education has not only been an informative one, but a positive one. I have enjoyed being actively involved in learning whether in the classroom, in the field, or simply at my computer at home. I feel that the assignments, activities, and requirements of this semester (i.e. observing teachers, blogging on educational topics, finding solutions to problems in the classroom) have allowed me to contribute to my community and my own personal education as opposed to only being a sponge to soak up information given to me.

Monday, November 23, 2009

Good Teachers hold onto their Romanitc Ideals

Most of the time you can tell the difference between a new teacher and a veteran teacher nearing retirement. A new teacher will tell you in his or her first few conversations why he/she chose teaching as their career, why he or she chose the school he/she is teaching at, what teaching means to them, or their goals of impacting the lives of their students through teaching. As they continue in their teaching careers however, many teachers succumb to bitterness towards behavior problems, the required curriculum, the principal, or other frustrations that are common in the teaching field.
I am determined to not become a bitter teacher. I have a romantic ideal about changing the way students view English. I want to at the very least make it interesting for each student. My goal for teaching is to let students discover for themselves the importance of English, and the reason they need it in society. As long as I keep my goals in mind and stay optimistic, I feel that I can become and remain a good teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment