About Me

My photo
My name is Sarah Hall, I am 21 years old and I am currently a junior at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, Alabama. I am double majoring in Secondary Education and Language Arts. My experience as a student in the College of Education has not only been an informative one, but a positive one. I have enjoyed being actively involved in learning whether in the classroom, in the field, or simply at my computer at home. I feel that the assignments, activities, and requirements of this semester (i.e. observing teachers, blogging on educational topics, finding solutions to problems in the classroom) have allowed me to contribute to my community and my own personal education as opposed to only being a sponge to soak up information given to me.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Why is English important?

With the prevalence of emails, text messages, instant messages, cell phones, and instant access technology many may ask Why do we still need to learn how to write professionally? Why do we still need writing skills if we know our field will never include much reading or writing? The answer is simple- an intelligent human being should know how to compose a grammatically correct sentence! Also, a well-respected individual knows how to communicate effectively with appropriate vocabulary.
All too often, I see college students struggle to write effectively. College students should know how to write fluidly with organized thoughts and ideas.
College students should also know how to speak appropriately in professional settings. I feel that these skills should be taught throughout grades K-12. Students should be taught how to write and communicate maturely and should be challenged to learn the meanings of words they do not know or know how to use. In order to respected in society, people need to know how to command respect with through communication. You represent yourself through written and spoken words. If self representations and words are important, ENGLISH IS IMPORTANT! After all, it is the study of the proper use of words.

No comments:

Post a Comment